Monday, July 20, 2009

What?

I recently read an article, about a collaboration between Texas Instruments and the University of Texas at Dallas. Some engineering students, at the university, needed to come up with a project. Ultimately, the project was inspired by the number of news stories ,that surface every summer, about infants/toddlers being left in vehicles and dying from the heat.

As a close friend of mine is so fond of saying, you cannot engineer around stupid. I am all for inventions that make our lives safer and easier, for that matter. And, I am certainly not a heartless person. My heart goes out to anyone who has lost a child. However, we need reminders to remind us of trivial things. Like say, that we have left our keys in the ignition. Or, that we have left the car lights on. Obviously, if you frequent this blog,you know that some people could use a reminder to practice good personal hygiene. But, that's another song. Do we seriously have to be reminded that we have a child in the car?

I take nothing away from the students at U.T.D or the management at TI. I believe that their hearts are in the right place.

However, here is what I would suggest. In lieu of a reminder, they could engineer a reliable test that would determine whether or not people are fit to be parents. Doesn't it make more sense to eliminate the problem ahead of time? Why react to a problem, when you can be proactive and avoid the problem all together.


Flatulent Fuzz

1 comment:

Terry Morris said...

Once upon a time I let one of our siblings take a couple of the kids for a ride around town in her car. Thirty minutes or so later we met on the road and she had the youngest sitting in her lap. I, of course, promptly pulled her over, removed the kids from her vehicle, and gave her a good *ss eating. But the question occurs to me, who was the stupider at the time -- me for letting her take them, or her for putting them in crushing danger? I'm going to say me on that one. Yep; I admit to having pulled some boneheaded moves in my day.