Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Marketing Thongs??

Let me start off by saying, that I don't have this article right in front of me, as I left the magazine at work. So, I will check back with the article later and make sure that I haven't inaccurately relayed anything from that article.

I read this in Texas Monthly (May 2008 ed.) and found it quite disturbing.... Abercrombie & Fitch have begun marketing thongs to "tween" girls. For those of you that might not know, a "tween" is prepubescent child between the ages of 8 and 14 years old (some definitions have it between 8 and 12). Now, I don't know about you, but from where I am sitting, I can't think of a single valid reason that a girl between the ages of 8 and 14 would have for wearing a thong. I realize, of course, that for Abercrombie & Fitch the motivation is sheerly money (or the all mighty dollar, as I like to call it). But, when is enough enough? Don't these people have children? I find the very idea of this distasteful and disgusting. Although, I can't say that I am at all surprised. If something has the potential to make a couple of bucks (right or wrong), by golly somebody is going be there to take advantage!

One final thought, I am so, so grateful that I have a two year old BOY!!! To all of you that have "tween" girls... Good luck explaining to them why they can't wear a thong, when Sara Jane from down the street wears them all the time.

Flatulent Fuzz

No comments: